Sunday 26 July 2015

Revit's Latest Gifts - The Search Feature

Now, I'll be the first to admit, I don't always keep up with all the latest and greatest publications regarding every update for Revit, I'm a day in and day out Revit user, so I typically come across most of these things naturally. That being said, I'm really enjoying all the little tweaks and additions of the 2016 release and the 2015 update. I will cover these little additions over a couple of posts, today we’ll start with the search feature.

Who loves all the search features everywhere? Me!

Shall we count the ways that we can search Revit 2015 now? Shall we attempt to quantify how much time is being saved by every one of these search options versus endlessly scrolling lists? Hell no. Let us go forward and never look back.

I have expelled much hot air over the years complaining about wasted time scrolling endless lists, so most obviously my very favorite thing of late is these new search features. We can now search in the following drop down list areas; the type selector, the properties palette, dialog boxes, callouts, sections, elevations and view reference drop down lists.

For detail components, this seemingly endless black hole of detail items lost and sometimes found is no longer. You can effortlessly search any combination string for the item you desire. Items matching the search string now create a highlighted short list.

And how about that improved reference another view tool, now moved to the Ribbon? Did you double take and exert a little WTH when it couldn't be found on the options bar? I sure did. But alas, I didn't have look very long or far to find it, nor did it take more than one use for me to be thrilled with the changes. What I love about this is that I no longer need to know the section name or number to reference anymore...once again I can search any combination string, including the sheet itself, and I'm rewarded with a highlighted shortlist...just wonderful.





One other location that I find myself endlessly scrolling a list, is the Orient to View, Section tool. Sadly, I discovered this powerful search feature has not been added here.

Is this just a case of "Always leave them wanting more"? …Perhaps

No comments :

Post a Comment